Saturday, March 14, 2009

Sec 1 Camp

Back from Sec 1 camp! Home sweet home. Going to talk about my Sec 1 camp this time round. We went to the Sarimbun Scout Camp from 11th March to 13th March. The Sec 1 cohort was split into 24 groups and I was in a group with 6 1O2(my class) students and the rest are 1O1 students. The group was numbered 14 and we called ourselves 'LOL2' as the group consists of 1O1(looks like LOL) and 1O2(2) students.

On the first day, we set off to the campsite. It was like a forest with many trees and tents. My group was told to sleep in tents. I heard that some other groups( If I am right, groups 1-13) sleep in dorms and A harts(hope I spell it right). Unlucky. Why don't they take in one more group and we don't need to sleep on floorboards and the grass and soil?

The activity that was the best on the first was the 'Milo Pond'. It is actually a mud pool. We have to wear a PFD whereby it helps us float on water for around 4 hours (for safety reasons). We had to climb the ladder up(quite high) and slide down on a slide to the mud pool. If I was given the opportunity to try it again, I would certainly will. I don't know how to describe the feeling when I slide down and hit the water but it was very trilling. When I came out of water, I was soaked with my clothes sticking on my skin. However, we were not allowed to take a shower yet. We still had to do one more activity before showering.

On the next day, there were many activities that was not really fun but it needs our group's teamwork and co-operation with each other. One of them was the giant's finger. There is a kind of a pole on the ground, about 3.5m and there is also a tyre. I am not sure how to explain, so I surf the net and got this picture on http://www.recreation.ku.edu/programs/adams_campus/elements.shtml :



We had to lift it over the pole and put it back again. After many failed attempts, we still couldn't get that tyre out of the pole. One of the teachers told us the method to solve it and we follow it. After some guidance by that teacher again, we manage to get that tyre out. I was the one of the base people whereby Yu Siang was standing on me with his shoes on!

On the last day, it's time to say farewell to the camp. However, before that, there is something we need to do. We have to strike down the tent and clean the canvas. The canvas was very big and it was very tiring to clean the dirt off. Some use dry cloth, some use a wet one and the rest use their bare hands. After 2 hours or so, we then manage to done everything.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Derrick here. I must say that the 1O1 people were very enthusiastic and co-operative. Anyway, pls refrain from using broken english like your last line: we then manage to done everything. It should be: We finally managed to complete the task.

    Alright, if you want to know about how I feel about the camp and my review for it, do visit my blog by clicking on my name(chelseafreak). Just to let you know that I am following you blog too!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have written a vivid account of your Sec 1 camp. At least I know what were the activities that you participated in. The quality of your blog entry can be enhanced if you write about your thoughts and feelings in greater detail.

    ReplyDelete